Sunday, June 19, 2011

First trip to Chambers Lake area

On Saturday the penultimate weekend warrior fishing day I planned and executed a trip with a couple of college buddies.  As I am not the most the social fisher guy around due to a novice's unwillingness to show ineptitude and lack of time on the water it sounded like a good time.  Unfortunately one buddy was unable to show due to illness, but thankfully Jeff was able to make it.  We altered the planned trip to red feather in order for Jeff to show me his favorite Colorado lake places.  The three lakes are about ten miles shy of the top of Cameron pass were quite wonderful.  The lakes were a long hour and a half up the poudre river and taunted me with some quite fishable water along the way.  I saw the hatchery for the first time in years.  Somehow the taunt of a fish hatchery made me imagine that there were giant fish in the water around there.  But this itch was to be scratched another time.

Upon arrival we stopped at the first of three lakes a small reservoir that Jeff didn't name.  we hiked a little ways around to by a damn.  Jeff set up his lure spinning rod an I proceed with a dry fly indicator with a small wormy thing second.  we both started pulling in 6-9 inch rainbows in minutes.  After about an hour of load fishing we had attracted all of the families and other fisher people that we hiked by earlier with our enthusiastic catches.  So feeling a bit crowded we headed to lost lake and chambers.  Lost lake was again fairly crowded and nobody was catching anything so we headed to the inlet of chambers lake.  With strong threatening clouds we set up our lines for fishing in some current.  After Jeff reeled in a couple of nice lake trout the weather broke and we hoofed it back to the car.  The altitude and rain made for a very cold walk to round out what was a very interesting day for me.  The three lakes are firmly within driving distance of the fort and will offer me a couple more weeks of lake fishing while the rivers are all swolen monstrosities from the spring melt. 

Of note is that next week I am looking forward to taking the St. Pete's fly shop of Fort Collins fly fishing school next weekend.  I am looking in particular for some direction on casting more than 30 ft of line and on keeping a few more of my fly's as I seem to be losing them at a quite an alarming pace.  It will also be a fun time to potentially expand my fishing network.

No comments:

Post a Comment